• Pan American World Airways lands on Guam with 109 Japanese tourists.
• The Cliff Hotel opens in Hagatna.
• Guam International Airport opens.
• The Fujita Guam Tumon Beach Hotel opens with 20 units in each of its three buildings.
• Continental/Air Micronesia begins flights from Guam to Okinawa, Honolulu and Micronesia.
• Trans World Airlines makes an inaugural flight that lands in Guam and continues to Hong Kong.
• Japan Airlines begins service to Guam.
• The Continental Hotel opens in Tumon.
• The Guam Dai-Ichi Hotel, now the Fiesta Resort Guam opens with 223 rooms in Tumon.
• Duty Free Shoppers Ltd. opens a retail shop in the Guam Dai-Ichi Hotel.
• The world’s largest McDonald’s opens in Tamuning.
• The Guam Hotel Association Inc. is established as a private, nonprofit trade association. A group of local hoteliers filed articles of incorporation with the Department of Revenue and Taxation.
• The Guam Hotel Okura, now the Lotte Hotel Guam opens in Tumon with 223 rooms.
• The Guam Hilton, now the Hilton Guam Resort & Spa opens with 223 rooms.
• The Country Club of the Pacific opens in Talofofo. It is now a P.H.R. Ken Micronesia Inc. property.
• Hafa Adai Lodge opened with 24 rooms in Maite.
• The Guam Hotel Association Inc. is renamed the Guam Hotel & Restaurant Association. In this way it expands the organization to include restaurants, allied and affiliate members and adds necessary vitality to the organization.
• The ITC Plaza Hotel opens on the top floor of the ITC building in Tamuning.
• The Sotetsu Tropicana Hotel opens in the existing Tumon Sands Plaza in Tumon.
• Air Nauru negotiates landing rights on Guam.
• Freedom Air launches Mariana Islands flights.
• The Guam Reef Hotel, now the Guam Reef & Olive Spa Resort, opens in Tumon.
• LSG Lufthansa Services Guam Inc. opens in Guam.
• KFC Guam opens on the island.
• King’s Restaurant opens in Guam. The restaurant is now part of the GFS group, which includes Ruby Tuesday and Chuck E. Cheese’s.
• Agana Shopping Center opens.
• Braniff International starts service to Guam.
• Pacific Islands Club opens in Tumon with bungalows and resort activities. A 32-story tower is added in 1991 and a 27-story tower built in 1999, making it the largest hotel in Guam, with 794 rooms.
• Northwest Orient Airlines begins service from Guam to Narita, Japan.
• Japan Airlines begins Guam flights.
• All Nippon Airways begins charter service to Guam from Japan.
• Cocos Island Resort opens off the southern coast of Guam, offering aqua sports and other activities.
• South Pacific Island Airways begins Guam Honolulu flights.
• The Guam Plaza Hotel opens in Tumon with 508 rooms.
• Tony Roma’s opens in Guam.
• Duty Free Shoppers Ltd. opens a 25-000 square foot store on Chalan San Antonio in Tamuning. The chain is now known as DFS Guam, which does business as T Galleria.
• Windward Hills Country Club opens in Yona.
• Pacific Star Hotel opens in Tumon, with 436 rooms.
• The Hotel Sunroute Oceanview, now known as Oceanview Hotel & Residences, opens in Tumon, with 191 rooms.
• Atlantis Guam, a subsidiary of Baba Corp., begins operating a 46-passenger submarine.
• Korean Air begins service to Guam.
• Air Niugini begins service to Guam.
• Air Mike Express begins service to the Northern Mariana Islands.
• Inn on the Bay opens in Agat, with 70 rooms.
• The first Subway restaurant opens in Yigo.
• Holiday Plaza opens in Tumon, with 129 rooms.
• SandCastle opens in Tumon.
• Philippine Airlines begins service to Guam.
• Thai Airways begins service to Guam.
• Japan Asia Airways begins service to Guam via Saipan.
• Capricciosa opens in Guam.
• Palace Hotel Guam, now the Sheraton Laguna Guam Resort, opens in Tamuning, with 403 rooms.
• Guam PIA Marine Hotel Condominiums open in Tamuning with 202 rooms.
• Hatsuho International country Club, now STARTS Guam Golf Resort Inc., opens with 27 holes and the 62 rooms Hatsuho Green Park Hotel.
• The Onward Agana Beach Hotel opens with 285 rooms.
• The Talofofo Golf Resort opens.
• GHRA revises its bylaws and mission statement.
• Hotel Nikko Guam opens in Tumon, with 500 rooms.
• The Tumon Bay Capital Hotel opens, with 62 rooms.
• Alupang Beach Tower opens with 138 luxury condominiums.
• Leo Palace Resort opens in Manenggon Hills, with 345 rooms.
• Hyatt Regency Guam opens in Tumon, with 138 rooms.
• The 18-hole Guam International Country Club opens in Dededo.
• Jamaican Grill opens in Chamorro Village in Hagatna.
• Asiana Airlines begins service to Guam.
• Lone Star Steakhouse Guam opens in Tamuning.
• The Westin Resort Guam opens in Tumon, with 420 rooms.
• The Parc Hotel, now Holiday Resort & Spa Guam opens in Tumon with 252 rooms.
• Guam Airport Hotel opens in Tamuning, with 51 rooms.
• The University of Guam International Tourism program is created.
• Target Golf opens in Tamuning.
• The Grand Plaza Hotel holds a grand re-opening, after it was demolished in the 1993 earthquake, with 124 rooms.
• Ladera Tower opens in Mangilao with 218 suites.
• Public Law 23-136 is introduced requiring tour operators to be certified via classes at Guam Community College. The law is signed Oct. 24.
• Guam Premier Outlets opens in Tamuning.
• Acanta Mall opens in Tumon.
• Sherwood Resort Guam now the Verona Resort & Spa opens in Tumon, with 335 rooms.
• Imperial Suites Hotel now Wyndham Garden Guam opens in Tamuning, with 142 rooms.
• Santa Fe on the Bay, now Santa Fe Hotel, opens in Tamuning with 112 rooms.
• China Airlines begins service to Guam.
• Calvo Enterprises Inc. and the government of Guam unveil the Two Lovers Point park.
• Pleasure Island opens in Tumon, featuring Underwater World Aquarium and Sam Choy’s, what is now Sea Grill Restaurant and retail outlets.
• Outrigger Guam Resort opens in Tumon with 600 rooms.
• Royal Orchid Guam Hotel opens in Tumon, with 204 rooms.
• TGI Fridays opens in Tumon.
• Hard Rock Café Guam opens in Tumon.
• Cold Stone Creamery opens in Tamuning.
• Days Inn, now Palmridge Inn, opens in Barrigada, with 131 rooms
• Tumon Bay Lobster & Grill opens in Tumon.
• Restaurant Proa opens in Tumon.
• Chili’s Grill and Bar breaks ground at Guam Premier Outlets.
• California Pizza Kitchen opens in Tamuning at the Holiday Resort & Spa.
• Meskla opens in Hagatna.
• Port of Mocha Coffee House in Guam.
• Churrasco Brazilian BBQ and Salad Bar opens in Tumon.
• Jin Air begins service to Guam from Korea.
• Table 35 opens in Tamuning.
• Mosa’s Joint Restaurant in Guam.
• Dusit Thani Guam Resort opens with one third of its 419 rooms and several features.
• Air Busan begins service to Guam.
• T’Way Air begins service to Guam from Korea.
• CRUST opens in East Agana.
• Cebu Pacific begins service to Guam.
• HK Express begins service to Guam.
• Eataliano opens at Leo Palace Resort Guam.
• Terraza opens at Two Lovers' Point.
• Navasana opens Spa opens at the Outrigger Guam Beach Resort.
• Cafe Kitchen opens at Hyatt Regency Guam.
• Rootz, The Hill's Grillhouse opens at Guam Plaza Resort & Spa.
• Little Pika's opens in Tumon.
• Air Seoul begins service to Guam.
• Olive Garden opens at Tumon Sand Plaza.
• Kadu Guam opens in Mangilao.
• Red Lobster opens at Tumon Sands Plaza.